Saturday, December 16, 2017

Why it's called Soup Therapy

This is the 1999 introduction, written by my father for the book that never was - and is now this blog.

*

At few years ago my doctor decided I should take an early retirement. I was 59 years old. At home, pondering this unanticipated early retirement, I phoned a friend who had been let go from his computer programming jobs a couple of years earlier, just after his 57th birthday.

When Bill asked me what I was doing with my time I replied “I’m making soup; it’s my therapy.” “Well,” said Bill, I’ve heard of Group Therapy, but I’ve never heard of Soup Therapy. We chuckled over this responds, and I shared it with others, over time.

About a year later I shared this tale with my son and daughter-in-law in Vancouver, and as soon as I said “soup therapy” I thought “now there is a snappy title for a book. Soup Therapy: a Recipe Book for Retired Gentlemen.

So, with a minor change to the title here it is.  SOUP THERAPY – Recipes for the Retired Gentleman, and a mother-lode of  how too information for many other gastronomical creations as well.

Bill Bryson, 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment